The Sassiest Mama Awards 2015
She’s gorgeous, spontaneous and very ambitious – this mama is a fashion designer with big dreams and a secret love of french fries. At the age of 5 she sewed dolls clothes from fabric scraps and today she produces beautiful Couture dresses and elegant ready-to-wear pieces, knows the city inside out (after being here 30 years) and has the most delicious little girl.
Who’s The Mama?
Full Name: Aiisha Ramadan
Occupation: Creative Director
Children: Cielle/ 17 months
How long have you lived in Dubai? 30 years
1) Tell us about your business/businesses and why you started them.
At the age of five, drawing and sewing clothes for my dolls from fabric scraps left by my aunt, who’s a tailor, filled all my free time and the time while mentally dosing off in the middle of my classes at school. This passion led me into the challenge of running a full time job at a news agency for many years while pouring my talent into the business of fashion design, producing beautiful Couture dresses for women, which was recently re-launched into a more refined, timeless and elegant ready-to-wear brand.
2) What do you feel have been your biggest achievements both in your personal life and career so far?
My biggest achievement on both personal and career level has been discovering myself, my DNA, my true essence. This journey is evident in my rebranded label and is guiding me towards being a better role model for my daughter.
3) As a child what did you dream of being when you ‘grew up’?!
While many children dreamt of being princesses, I was thinking of how to build land on the sea for the people with no land (way before the palm was ever built). I had a dream of building a big school that will have all the homeless children I could gather, cleaned up, fed and educated. So I used my talent to achieve my goal and from there the dream of becoming a fashion designer came along.
4) If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
End world hunger
Become an inspiration for my daughter and generations to come
Build my brand into one with legacy
5) What does being a Sassy Mama mean to you?
I’m grateful for the recognition, the support and the motivation to be the best mother I could be while running a successful business. It’s truly a privilege, thank you!
6) What’s a typical day in your life like?
I have no typical day as I run between meetings, Cielle and my atelier. It’s truly an organized mess!
7) What’s your guilty pleasure?
8) What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given in your personal life and career?
In my career, my advice is for young designers to intern for their favourite designers. On a personal level, advice that always works for me is facing your fears, imagining the results you want to achieve beforehand and just going after what you want.
9) What do you most enjoy doing as a family in Dubai?
Among many other activities, I enjoy cooking, watching movies, dancing with my daughter to nursery songs.
10) What is the ‘best-kept’ secret in Dubai, something fellow mamas should know about?
Try and travel out of town on average every 3 months, as it will freshen up your soul and makes you eager for tomorrow.
11) Which three words best describe your personality?
Spontaneous, ambitious and constantly in love.
12) What advice would you have for a new mama?
Don’t freak out if you don’t bond with your infant instantaneously because though she was growing inside you for several months, she will change your life drastically, shock your system, she doesn’t know how to communicate her needs and most of all, she’s a new human being in your life. You will truly enjoy and bond with her the most when she starts responding. Until then, try to have support from your close ones.
13) What advice would you give to a mama who wants to go back to work or start her own business but is worried about juggling family and career?
To go back to your job, probably having her at a trusted nursery would be a great choice. If you want to start your own business, I advise you hire a nanny and make sure you take her with you at every possible minute.
14) If you were on an island and could bring only 3 things (family not included) what would they be?
The Holy Quran, my daughter’s photo album and my compact foundation with wet force technology from Shiseido.
15) Top 3 books
Magic, Rich Dad Poor Dad and The Prophet.
16) Describe your style
Running my own fashion brand, holding a full time job and having a baby, makes it a busy life style, which means I like to wear comfortable yet elegant clothes that can take me from day to evening, simply by changing accessories, makeup and shoes! Like many women, my style is a reflection of my various moods and I am very fortunate to be able to relay this in my collections by designing for women with very different personalities.
17) If there was a movie produced about your life, who would you choose to play you and why?
I’ll play Aiisha Ramadan because I’m an ordinary girl who can inspire millions through the challenges I’ve faced, the dreams that keep me breathing, and the incredible people I’ve been blessed to have in my life.
18) Tell us something funny that your kids have said or done
I die every time Cielle points with her finger saying NO MO, NO MO. referring to “5 little Monkeys” song.
Thanks to The Studio for the gorgeous pics! Book your photography experience on (+971) (0)4 347 1745.
Special thanks also to Sassy Mama Dani for coordinating mamas and photographers while juggling 3 little ones too!