Feeling hot and bothered at the beginning of the summer, I booked the family in for a weekend staycation at Anantara Dubai The Palm – which turned out to be one of the best mini-breaks we’ve ever had. After just 2 glorious days on this Palm island paradise we left feeling rested, happy and as though we’d had a week away – woohoo! Mega family friendly and now one of my absolute fave hotels in the UAE, there are summer offers aplenty so if you need a break then book one here!
And if that’s not enough to convince you then perhaps one of the next 15 reasons to check-in will.
- This is Asia without the flights mamas – from the lush green tropical planting to the architecture and Thai hospitality plus there’s no need to brave 8 hours on a plane with toddlers – big bonus.
- Balloon modeling face painters on check-in to make the filling out of paperwork so much easier and get the littles geared up for their staycay! Kids are so welcome here and the staff couldn’t be more accommodating to mini guests.
- Tuk tuk travel. Yes mamas, zipping around the resort in colourful tuk-tuks was just as exciting for the bigs as the littles – whose usual hour long dance to get ready and out of the door was cut down to seconds whenever the promise of a tuk tuk was made.
- Gorgeous rooms with the best beds lie-in inducing beds we’ve ever slept in – kids included (tempted to recreate just to see if we can get more of those blissfuly late mornings). Crisp white linen, dark wood and rainfall showers – exactly what you want in a hotel room. We stayed in a ground floor lagoon room which gave us direct access to…
- A swimmable lagoon complete with sandy beaches – perhaps the best swimming pool in the Middle East and perfect if you’re staying in one of the lagoon rooms whose terrace steps lead right into the water – utterly heavenly.
- The snack bearing Thai boat that does the rounds on said lagoon each day bringing fresh coconuts (and a few naughty treats) to hungry swimmers and curious little kids.
- Huge cones of crispy calamari at The Beach House, one of the resorts relaxed restaurants with gorgeous views over the sparkling ocean, a chilled vibe and really scrummy food.
- A free drop-in Tuk Tuk Kids Club that’s open from 8am – 7pm and offers its own shaded play area, plunge pool (with lifeguard of course) and sand ply plus indoor space with all the toys, books and games that a little one could ask for. There’s also tv time and video games for little techno addicts and loads of smiley staff who are happy to help mamas and dads get a bit of a break (they can help sort everything from escorted tuk-tuk’s back to your room to ordering mini meals). Under 4’s must be accompanied by an adult. Oh and there’s a teens club for the older kiddos, complete with pool table, karaoke machine and lots more.
- Aussie fare at Bushmans Bar & Grill – an awesome space that transports you from Thailand to down under with its rustic interiors, bush-tucker menu items and billabong cocktails. The deconstructed pavlova – literally made on the table Jackson Pollock style – was worth a visit alone (and was a huge hit with our finger-eating kids).
- Over-water villas Maldives style complete with private deck, steps down to the ocean and a glass floor that’s perfect for peeking at the fish below. A quick look at one of these rooms was enough to start planning our next stay (not that we weren’t planning it already).
- A main infinity pool that’s shallow enough for tots to splash in but also great for a few laps (that’s if the swim-up bar and submerged seating doesn’t tempt you). The whole family loved wallowing in the in-pool bubble massage loungers and floating in the huge Jacuzzi.
- The best spa in Dubai. Trust me. All singing, all dancing, all relaxing with 18 treatment rooms offering everything from massage to Ayurveda in blissfully serene surroundings.
- A palm fringed private beach for book reading (yes mamas this is possible given the amazing kids club!) to water sports (paddle boarding to Sheikh Mohammed’s beach palace opposite anyone?). The Vietnamese fishing boats look like so much fun!
- Thai longboat transfers from Dubai Marina to the resort – talk about arriving in style mamas!
- The amazing patience of the staff when your kids break the giant Mickey Mouse statue at the pancake station (yes, this happened) – oh and those pancakes and the breakfast spread is pretty darn amazing.
I can’t wait to return and find another 15 reasons to love Anantara The Palm mamas!