As you head off on your summer vacation, be sure to make and pack some tasty bites to keep the family fuelled before you reach your destination – whether you’re jetting off by plane or embarking on a road trip, take a cool bag and some ice-packs to keep foods chilled and fresh and ready to eat when hungry tums can’t wait (and when airline food doesn’t appeal!).
Cheese and Tomato Pinwheels
Makes 8 pinwheels
- 2 slices white or brown bread, crusts removed
- a little butter, softened
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tomato, washed, deseeded and diced
- Put the slices of bread on a chopping board and cover with clingfilm.
- Using a wooden rolling pin, roll out the bread until it is very thin.
- Spread with butter and sprinkle over the cheese and tomato.
- Roll up each slice (like a roulade) and cut into 4 pieces.
Cream Cheese, Mango and Tomato Pinwheels
Makes 8 pinwheels
- 2 slices brown bread, crusts removed
- 2 dessertspoons cream cheese
- 1 tsp mango chutney
- 1 small tomato, washed, deseeded and diced
- Roll out the bread as described above.
- Spread with the cream cheese, then the mango chutney and sprinkle over the tomato.
- Roll up each slice as above and cut into 4 pieces.
Ham and Chicken Pasta Salad
Makes 4 portions
- 100g shell pasta
- 15g carrot, peeled and grated
- 4 spring onions, washed and sliced
- 1 tomato, deseeded and diced
- 2 tbsp tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 25g ham, sliced
- 25g cooked chicken, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- Cook the pasta following the packet instructions.
- Drain and refresh the pasta in cold water.
- Mix with the remaining salad ingredients.
- Mix together the ingredients with the dressing and pour over the salad.
- Season to taste.
Trail Mix Bars
Makes 8 bars
- 50g butter
- 3 tbsp golden syrup or clear honey
- 100g quick-cook oats
- 80g packed soft brown sugar
- 30g Cheerios
- 40g raisins
- 40g salted peanuts or pumpkin seeds
- 55g milk chocolate chips or dried cranberries
- 35g sunflower seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 170X/325F/Gas 3. Line a 20cm x 20xm tin with baking parchment and grease lightly.
- Put the butter and golden syrup in a small pan over a low heat until the butter has melted. Set aside to cool.
- Put the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir together. Add the cooled butter mixture and mix well to combine. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and press down firmly. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the centre is just firm to touch.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 15 minutes then mark into 8 bars, using a sharp knife. Allow to cool completely before lifting from the pan. Store in an airtight container.
For more recipe inspiration, download Annabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby & Toddler app. Access more than 220 delicious recipes, as well as a host of features to keep your family on track and enjoying meal times. Download the new version from the App Store or visit www.annabelkarmel.com.
Featured image sourced via Pinterest