The kids may be back at school but there are still plenty of rainy afternoons left where they’ll need to be entertained — and a bit of entertainment means a much-needed break for mama! When the sweltering heat or torrential rain means you’re locked inside, there’s nothing better to keep munchkins occupied than DIY crafts. And we’ve had the experts at Little Picasso art studio come up with some fun, artsy crafts for passing those afternoons, starting with DIY summer slippers! Your little princesses (or princes) will absolutely love decorating these pretty slippers with their own frilly add-ons.
What you’ll need:
- Cereal box or cardboard
- Felt pen/crayons
- Coloured cardboard
What to do:
1. Draw around your little artist’s shoes or feet on the card or cereal box to cut out the perfect slipper size.
2. Using scissors, cut around the pencil line (on a side note, scissors are a great way to strengthen the muscles in your child’s hands!)
3. Use the felt pens or crayons to design the base of the slipper. This is where your kids can get creative! Drawing circles and zig-zags are another great way to exercise the wrist and hand.
4. Take some coloured cardboard and cut a long, wide strap to go over the foot. This strap can be decorated and coloured as well with the crayons.
5. Glue the strap around the slipper.
6. For a final touch, add pom poms, sequins or a super hero symbol and enjoy your new summer slippers!