Quick, Delicious and Healthy! A Meat-Free Meal For 2.
It can be quite a challenge to plan a meat-free meal but we all know that it’s not healthy to eat meat at every mealtime – so how do we find a good meat alternative or make a dish taste good (making a meatless dish taste yummy and satisfying is not the easiest thing in the world). And then there’s your husband’s excitement level (or lack thereof) as men generally like a big bit of animal protein on their plate! It’s important to have an easy recipe up your sleeve that’s a flavourful alternative to chowing down a big bland bowl of vegetables (and score brownie points with your hubby too).
And if you are into Asian food, coconut and love a bit of noodle slurping, I have the perfect dish for you. It IS going to be the best meat-free recipe you have created in a while, promise. So, what are you waiting for, mama? Time to get cooking!
Hot and Sweet Stir-Fried Tofu/Paneer with Creamy Beet & Rocket Salad, served on a bed of Glass/Rice Noodles
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ingredients for the Beet and Rocket salad:
- 1 Medium Beetroot
- 1 cup of Rocket or baby spinach
- 2tbsp – Coconut cream
- 1tsp – Lemon juice
- 1/2tsp – Freshly Ground Pepper
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the noodles:
- 1 packet – Chinese Mung bean Chinese (glass noodles) or Rice noodles.
- 1tsp – Chilli Oil
- 1tsp – Roasted Peanuts
Ingredients for the Hot and Sweet Stir-fried Paneer (Vegan Option: Tofu): This whole thing comes together when the Noodles are cooking
- 1 block – Tofu/Paneer (cut into 1-inch thick length wise strips)
- 1tbsp – Sessame Oil (or Sunflower Oil)
For the Sauce:
- 1tsp – Soy sauce
- 2tsp – Apple cider vinegar
- 1tsp – Honey
- 1tsp – Chilli paste(sambal)
- 1 pod Garlic grated or finely chopped
- Clean, remove the skin and grate the beetroot and keep aside in a big bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the coconut cream, lemon juice, pepper and salt.
- Add this to the grated Beetroot and let it sit while you are doing the other stuff.
- Add in the salad leaves just before serving and give it a good toss.
- Cook the noodles as per pack instructions. The package instructions on mine were: 5mins in boiling water and 2mins in cold water. Drain it and keep aside.
- Before serving drizzle the noodles with chilli oil, and roasted crushed peanuts.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat a skillet or non-stick pan, turn it medium low. Then add in oil and place the Paneer/Tofu strips in the pan and cook each side for about 3 mins or until golden brown.
- Now add the prepared sauce. Gently mix well till all the strips are well coated in the sauce. Cook for 2 mins more (be gentle, or else the tofu will break).
Take a plate or wide bowl and first place the salad one side. Then in the center place the noodles and top it with chilli oil and fried garlic. Lastly, arrange the paneer/tofu (this way all the colours are seen on the plate).
Happy cooking and slurping!