The Sassiest Mama Awards 2015
There’s something about recognising a gap in the market and then something else about filling it. This mama couldn’t find inspiring nursery furniture so she created it herself – and, together with another mama business partner, has gone on to found a fabulous furniture brand that has captivated our hearts and filled our homes! Curious, colour-loving and a fan of days on the beach, she loves a slice of carrot cake every now and then and always eats breakfast and dinner with her adorable kiddos.
Who’s The Mama?
Full Name: Saskia Begemann
Occupation: Co-Founder of POMME kids
Children: Filippa (21 months) & Valentino (3 months)
How long have you lived in Dubai? 3 years
1) Tell us about your business/businesses and why you started them.
We are 2 Dutch women from Amsterdam and we created a kids furniture brand almost 2 years ago: POMME Kids. We saw an opportunity when I was pregnant with my first child as I couldn’t find anything nice for the nursery and decided to create a cot myself. From there POMME Kids was born.
POMME Kids creates handmade furniture for children aged 0 to 10 years old. We focus on colourful, dreamy and playful furniture for tiny ones. The sweet and dreamy items are inspired by the fantasy world of children and have a natural touch.
At the moment we see the same trends for kids everywhere; Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. We want to be timeless and our focus is on the children. It seems that the trend is to style a nursery or kids play room too much – while kids don’t care and just want to play and be happy. Therefore we believe every child needs an inspirational environment to be happy.
2) What do you feel have been your biggest achievements both in your personal life and career so far?
To translate an idea to reality with all the (little) necessary steps in between. Every day brings new challenges, but it feels very satisfying to have completed and dealt with it and to get a step closer to our goals.
Regarding my personal life, I find it hard not to mingle my professional life with my family life. Sometimes I really need to switch off and not look at my phone/laptop.
3) As a child what did you dream of being when you ‘grew up’?!
I didn’t have a specific dream but I have always been fond of colours and the desire to stay young.
4) If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
- That POMME conquers the world
- To be and stay always curious
- To live on every continent of the world
5) What does being a Sassy Mama mean to you?
Young, trendy, adventurous, caring, international & inspirational
6) What’s a typical day in your life like?
We are the manager, the finance specialist, the designer, the delivery guy, the quality controller, the social media ‘expert’, the website developer and so much more…
This job is very exciting because every day is different. One day we are designing a new furniture piece and the next day we are having meetings with bloggers, shops, the factory and other inspiring people.
It gives us a lot of satisfaction and energy to have created kids’ furniture items from scratch and seeing them in people’s homes.
7) What’s your guilty pleasure?
With all the meetings we have in cafés, it is hard not to order that fantastic carrot cake too often…
8) What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given in your personal life and career?
To be always curious, because it keeps you young, sharp, dynamic and energetic. For me it is important to always be open minded and interested in other people and new things and ideas. You can learn something from everyone!
9) What do you most enjoy doing as a family in Dubai?
10) What is the ‘best-kept’ secret in Dubai, something fellow mamas should know about?
We go often with our kids to Mozzo for lunch, an Italian place in Umm Suqeim. They have good food and are focused on kids as well. There are toys to play with and the kids get special plastic cutlery etc. Really worth going.
11) Which three words best describe your personality?
Adventurous, flexible and multi-tasking.
12) What advice would you have for a new mama?
Follow your own heart! Don’t always listen to the ‘good’ advice everybody gives you when you just become a mum.
13) What advice would you give to a mama who wants to go back to work or start her own business but is worried about juggling family and career?
Just start and be a good boss of your own agenda. For me it is also very important to have fixed moments with your kids during the day. I for example always have breakfast and dinner with my kids.
14) If you were on an island and could bring only 3 things (family not included) what would they be?
My phone (hoping that the battery will last for ever and that there is wi-fi), sunscreen and a bikini.
15) Top 3 books?
It is hard to read nowadays with young kids and my own business, it is more cooking books at the moments…but this must be my top 3 at the moment:
– The Rosie Project
– The Kite Runner
– The Green Kitchen Travels (cooking book)
16) Describe your style.
Feminine, trendy & urban
17) If there was a movie produced about your life, who would you choose to play you and why?
What a question! Okay, I choose… Julia Roberts.
18) Tell us something funny that your kids have said or done
Filippa says often to me: “Filippa ice cream, JA!” Trying to convince me to give her an ice cream…
Thanks to The Studio for the gorgeous pics! Book your photography experience on (+971) (0)4 347 1745.
Special thanks also to Sassy Mama Dani for coordinating mamas and photographers while juggling 3 little ones too!