From A New Spinning Studio To Marshmallow Wrapped Raspberry Cake – Here’s To Mama Time At Alserkal Avenue
It is not often that us mamas have a few hours spare to ourselves, so when we do it’s important to make the most of it! So we thought we’d share some must-do places to check out in Alserkal Avenue in the heart of Al Quoz with you.
In a nutshell this hidden gem is a hub for everything art and design. The Avenue sums up what Alserkal is all about by being home to “not-for-profit artists’ studios, residency programmes, project spaces, concept stores, black box theatre, independent cinema, outdoor event facilities and community-led cultural initiatives, as well as unique food and beverage outlets”. Awesome, yes?
It is a great space to explore, experience something new and you might even find a few hidden gems of your own. Here’s our pick of places to eat, shop, visit and get involved.
psst… don’t forget that Alserkal Avenue is great for kids too, read our roundup of things to do for the little here
There are a few great places to grab something to eat in the Avenue.
- Hapi – Unit 42 –best known for its bone broths and breakfast pots this café has a simple fun feel and delicious food. Don’t leave without trying their deserts especially their chocolate and raspberry cake wrapped in marshmallow (best shared with a friend it’s that good).
- Wild & the Moon – Unit 77 – focusing on wild, local, gluten-free, ethically sourced, seasonal and plant-based ingredients you just feel better with every bite. Cold pressed juices, smoothies and bowls of all things good grace their menu and make it hard to choose.
- Appetite at A4 and Nadi Al Quoz – Units 4 and 90 – this well-known Dubai wide brand of salads and sandwiches are available in the Avenue’s own communal working and meetings spaces. Can’t go past their Salmon Sushi Bowl for a quick bite.
The Avenue was founded in 2007 and over the years it has been expanded to allow for a much wider range of retail and gallery space to be included. Some of our favourite shopping stops are:
- The Odd Piece (including The Rug Company) – Unit 65 – a carefully curated two story space of pieces you will just love to have in your home. The perfect place to come if you are looking for those pieces that you won’t find anywhere else and will just fall in love with.
- Ikonhouse – Unit 85 – With pieces from the likes of Eames, Eilersen and Vitra this is the one place you must visit if you are in search of classic Scandinavian pieces to anchor the rooms within your home.
- A4 Pop Up Space – Unit 4 – A popular space with online brands to hold pop up stores you never know what great store you will find set up there from week to week.
- The Jewel Teller – Unit 49 – Combining a workshop, design studio and gallery of jewellery inspired by the epochs of yesteryear with a contemporary twist, it is hard to not fall in love with everything.
- Showcase – Unit 35 – a gallery and frames rolled into one. A perfect place to have your favourite pieces of art bought to life with care and attention.
- The Good Life – Unit 64 – the only place in Dubai to visit if you are obsessed with sneakers and the culture that exists around them.
- Flip Side DXB – Unit 71 – Dubai’s only independent vinyl store is a great place to get lost for a while and “immerse yourself in the culture and love of vinyl, the music that it holds, and the artists behind it”.
- CHI-KA – Unit 69 – A gorgeous store showcasing Japanese influenced artisan-made silk kimonos, abayas, kaftans, and dresses along with a gallery of beautiful art and objects.
Read more: Fashion Trends For Spring/Summer 2018
Now we know not everyone is a fan of shopping so there are other things to do in the Avenue that will be good for your soul (along with your body or mind):
- Urban Yoga – Unit 42, above Hapi – with a range of classes available in their loft studio. Best to pre-book through their website – urbanyoga.ae – so you don’t miss out on the class of your choice.
- Jam Jar – Unit 74 – gives you a chance to let your creative side shine whether it be in an organised workshop, a free-painting session or simply being inspired at one of their artists talks. thejamjardubai.com
- Crank – Unit 43 – we have it on good authority that a new spinning studio, with a difference, is opening very soon in the Avenue.
- Gulf Photo Plus – Unit 36 – whilst not quite able to fit this into just a few hours, if you have been looking to improve your photography skills GPP runs regular workshops a range of topics that are well worth checking out.
Nostalgia Classic Cars – Unit 88 – if you are a fan of vintage cars, or happen to be in the Avenue with someone who is, you can’t miss popping in to see the fabulous collection housed here or chat to the team about their current restoration projects.
Art Galleries – everywhere – of course we can’t mention the Avenue without mentioning the amazing art galleries and artists studios held within. Don’t be afraid to wander the lanes and pop your head into any door just to see what is happening inside. You will always find amazing art and welcoming faces inside keen to share their passion with you.
Read more: Our Ultimate Dubai Bucket List