Very hip, super energetic and an incredibly talented chef, Silvena has recently opened the first gluten-free/sugar-free cafe/deli’s in Dubai – Omnia Gourmet – an amazing space bursting with personality and some incredibly good food (the sugar free nutella and gluten free banana bread has to be tried to be believed – take the kiddos mamas!) A mama of 2 boys, both in their twenties, Silvena draws strength from her family and loves her time with them enjoying weekends at the beach and of course eating out!
Name: Silvena Rowe
Occupation: Celebrity chef
Children: Mr Illen Rowe 26, Mr Alexander Rowe 21
How long have you lived in Dubai? 1 year
1) Tell us about how you got started with cooking.
I am a chef and basically started cooking because I’ve always been very greedy eater! I have a huge passion for eating healthy wholesome food and making a business of something I love so much has been a dream!
2) What do you feel have been your biggest achievements both in your personal life and career so far?
Always my family! I draw all my strength from them, I am firmly grounded within what I do, because of the love and foundations we share. As far as work goes, then it has to be Omnia – my newly opened gluten free and sugar free cafe-deli, a first in Dubai! It’s early days yet, but my customers are just amongst the most appreciative – wanting locally sourced, organic healthy, yet delicious options! I am proud that Omnia is changing and bettering the lifestyles for people in Dubai!
3) As a child what did you dream of being when you grew up?
I was a massive tomboy! I wanted to be a great sports woman, I did and still do a lot of sport, but I really wanted to be an Olympian I still dream of being that…but maybe in next life!
4) If you had three wishes, what would they be?
I would like a world with no poverty; eradicate corruption; would like to earn a Michelin star for my food one day!
5)What does being a Sassy Mama mean to you?
It’s an honour, I would like to inspire other younger mums!
6) What’s a typical day in your life like?
I can’t wait to open my eyes in the morning and get going. I am very lucky to have huge amounts of energy and I just keep going… I watch the sea in the morning from my terrace, I read a little, I do sport every single day for an, then I go to the restaurant and work begins. There’s no day off!
7) What’s your guilty pleasure?
Fries and chocolate.
8) What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given in your personal life and career?
Never hope for things more than you work for them!
9) What do you most enjoy doing as a family in Dubai?
Eating out, there are so many place to eat… also visiting local farms in the dessert and getting fresh organic produce! I mostly love going to the beach though.
10) What is the ‘best-kept’ secret in Dubai, something fellow mamas should know about?
Omnia gourmet – a place for raw, organic, locally sourced, gluten free and sugar free food! I have a lot of mums bringing their little ones, for Omnia’s famous sugar free nutella and gluten free banana bread!
11)Which three words best describe your personality?
Passion, energy and force.
12) What advice do you have for new mamas?
Invest as much as time possible with your child, your nanny will never do the same job in inspiring and feeding their confidence. At the same time, do what you need to do to feed your own passions and inspirations.
13) What advice would you give to a mama who wants to go back to work or start her own business, but is worried about juggling family and career?
Family support is imperative , so make sure that you have that! Still try and spend a much as time as possible with your child, not always easy, but hugely important!
14) If you were on an island and could bring only three things (family not included) what would they be?
My knives, water and fish thrower.
15) Top three books?
At any time, my books are always about cooking. Right now, I’m loving “The China study”- a study of nutrition – and then a few cookbooks.
16) Describe your style.
Edgy, sharp, sporty.
17) If there was a movie produced about your life, who would you choose to play you and why?
Pink the singer; I love her style and how strong sporty she is, as well as the hair and her edgy personality, of course!
Images of our Sassiest Mamas 2014 are courtesy of Jo Cole www.jocolephotography.com