From classy cocktail dresses to must-have maternity occasion wear, Dina is behind the incredibly successful online boutique theDRESSroom.com, a collection of gorgeous designer dresses (we are seriously coveting some of their frocks) and also lifestyle boutique Aura-b that’s a one-stop shop for all that will make you and your home look fabulous. Mama to Kian, Nina and Ayan – all under 5 – Dina certainly has her hands full during the day and isn’t getting a whole lot of sleep at night – but still manages to have fun, run 2 businesses and look amazing!
Name: Dina Abdulhadi Daryani
Occupation: Owner and managing director of theDRESSroom.com and aura-b.com
Children: Kian 4.5, years, Nina 3 years, Ayan 4 months
How long have you lived in Dubai? Ten years
1) Tell us about your businesses and why you started them.
I own aura-b.com and theDRESSroom.com. Aura-b was founded in September 2009 as a multi-brand boutique, housing women’s fashion and accessories, furniture and home accessories and other lifestyle elements. It showcases designers from all over the world that offer unique and original items. I created it because I wanted to support upcoming designers and brands.
theDRESSroom.com was founded in January 2013 providing an extensive online selection of designer evening gowns and dresses. It provides the best online selection of dresses and evening gowns for every occasion; I founded it because I wanted to fill a need in the market, offering a huge variety suitable for all women sizes, styles and budgets.
2) What do you feel have been your biggest achievements both in your personal life and career so far?
My biggest achievement in my personal life is having my three wonderful children. My biggest achievement in my career I would say is launching and managing my two business in the last five years while juggling being a mama!
3) As a child what did you dream of being when you ‘grew up’?
An architect and an actress.
4) If you had three wishes, what would they be?
To always know how to make the right choices.
To always be in a state of joy.
For my family and I to always be protected and at peace.
5) What does being a Sassy Mama mean to you?
It means that someone appreciates and understands how I choose to run my life.
6) What’s a typical day in your life like?
Work in the morning, pick up kids from school and nursery. Kids’ activities in the afternoon (classes and playdates), put the kids to sleep, have dinner and watch TV with hubby…wake up a few times at night with my newborn and then start a new day.
7) What’s your guilty pleasure?
Chocolate – Nutella , Lion bar and Cadbury caramels!
8) What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given in your personal life and career?
Forgive yourself and others. Follow what your soul wants to do. Accept your present moment and life situations, be happy for other people’s success. Treat people the way you want to be treated.
9) What do you most enjoy doing as a family in Dubai?
10) What is the ‘best-kept’ secret in Dubai, something fellow mamas should know about?
Special Ostadi Kabab restaurant in Bur Dubai!
11) Which three words best describe your personality?
Genuine, unconventional and a soul searcher.
12) What advice do you have for a new mama?
It does get easier! Don’t listen to everyone’s advice, choose one or two people you trust most. I know it’s difficult, but don’t compare yourself to others – remember to take care of yourself! And most importantly, have fun with your kids.
13) What advice would you give to a mama who wants to go back to work or start her own business but is worried about juggling family and career?
Minimise your guilt and find someone good and reliable to take care of the kids while you are away. Get more organised, make sure your working hours are flexible but also remember to spend quality time with your children. When you’re with them, switch off from work and don’t take work calls at that time
14) If you were on an island and could bring only three things (family not included) what would they be?
A boat, books and a friend.
16) Describe your style
My style changes every day depending on my mood. Sometimes it’s girly with a twist, other times sophisticated chic and occasionally I’ll channel a hippie vibe or something a little more edgy!
17) If there was a movie produced about your life, who would you choose to play you and why?
Eva Mendes, because my husband thinks I look like her.
18) Tell us something funny that your kids have said or done.
My son Kian (4.5) teaching my daughter Nina (3) how to speak Arabic.
My son pretending to be a doctor and giving my daughter a fake cesarean.