The Sassiest Mama Awards 2015
A formidable force, this mama has helped change the world of publishing in the region and is as dedicated to her career as she is to her super cute little girl. Her best advice? To trust maternal instinct, create your own parenting rules and strive for balance with work and family – not always easy but she pulls it off in style.
Who’s The Mama?
Full Name: Vidhya Thiagarajan
Children: Valentina, 17 months
How long have you lived in Dubai? All my life
1) Tell us about your business/businesses and why you started them.
I’ve been in publishing for 18 years and in ITP for the last 11. Having been part of the teams that changed the landscape of publishing in the region, I have never wanted to be anywhere else
3) As a child what did you dream of being when you ‘grew up’?!
I think 4 out of 5 girls my age wanted to be a flight attendant, but as I was a teenager I wanted to be a lawyer. Perhaps it was because I loved arguing with my parents!
4) If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
Safety for my child. Health for my loved ones. And to be able to eat whatever I want and not gain weight.
5) What does being a Sassy Mama mean to you?
Keeping it real! Creating your own rules on parenting and maintaining your identity as a wife and career woman.
6) What’s a typical day in your life like?
Striving to find a work-life balance. Work all day and try and get home before dark to spend a few hours with my baby.
7) What is the ‘best-kept’ secret in Dubai, something fellow mamas should know about?
It wouldn’t be a secret if I told you would it??
8) Which three words best describe your personality?
Strong, loyal and generous.
9) What advice would you have for a new mama?
Trust your instincts – they are called “maternal” instincts for a reason…
10) What advice would you give to a mama who wants to go back to work or start her own business but is worried about juggling family and career?
GET A NANNY early in the game while you are still pregnant, so you can bond with her and she can fall in love and anticipate your unborn child.
Knowing your caretaker loves your child like their own gives you so much peace of mind. It allows you the freedom to go out there and do your thing.
11) If you were on an island and could bring only 3 things (family not included) what would they be?
Cellphone, sunglasses and a gal pal.
12) Describe your style.
Comfort first, not too complicated and little risque.
13) If there was a movie produced about your life, who would you choose to play you and why?
The popular choice is Meryl Streep in The Devil wears Prada. If I had to choose then Angelina Jolie – tough on the outside and a softy on the inside.
14) Tell us something funny that your kids have said or done.
As a mother I am amused everyday by Valentina… one of the things we worked very hard on is to never say the word NO, as it’s a limiting term. So we always say things like, “off limits” or “that’s not a good idea” but somehow despite all our efforts Valentina loves to say NO NO NO to us on a daily basis. God only knows where she learnt that from.
Thanks to The Studio for the gorgeous pics! Book your photography experience on (+971) (0)4 347 1745.
Special thanks also to Sassy Mama Dani for coordinating mamas and photographers while juggling 3 little ones too!