The Sassiest Mama Awards 2015
As a child she aspired to be a vet – and now she’s an award-winning fashion designer with 2 gorgeous kids. This mama works hard, plays hard and always looks good. Oh and she loves a KFC every now and then (a woman after our own heart).
Who’s The Mama?
Full Name: Layla Shugri
Occupation: Fashion Designer/owner of LYA LYA
Children: Anthony 7 and Tiana 5
How long have you lived in Dubai? 10 years
1) Tell us about your business/businesses and why you started them.
I have always dreamed and was passionate about starting my own fashion brand , however , life takes you different paths and I strongly believe that you need to balance all aspects of your life at all times, and therefore decided to have my priorities in place. Once I fulfilled my desire of being a mother, and found time to develop my passion, I started working on creating my dream brand and that’s how and when LYA LYA came to life.
2) What do you feel have been your biggest achievements both in your personal life and career so far?
Personally, Finding my other half , creating a family and being blessed with these 2 beautiful and loving kids . Professionally , the first is conquering my inner fear of under achievement and realizing that anything is possible if you put your mind and effort into it.
anything is possible if you put your mind and effort into it
And the second would have to be winning ‘The young talent award’ for middle east for ‘Arab Women Awards 2012’
3) As a child what did you dream of being when you ‘grew up’?!
Vet, Humanitarian or a fashion designer – Accomplished one of them and hopefully one day I will fulfill my other desire and open a charity to be able to give back.
4) If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
My first wish would be that I see no suffering and that the people I love are healthy ,safe and protected. My second would be to always be happy with whatever I have and remain humble and grateful. The last would be for success and opening flagship stores for LYA LYA internationally.
5) What does being a Sassy Mama mean to you?
A Sassy Mama is a Modern Mama – Happy , healthy, fun loving modern mom that juggles it all and still manages to look good.
6) What’s a typical day in your life like?
Healthy Breakfast , then work, Pilates , teaching the kids , work , spending quality time with the family, dinner and ending the day with a nice movie or series.
7) What’s your guilty pleasure?
8) What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given in your personal life and career?
Follow your dreams before someone else hires you to follow theirs… Be a ‘Yes’ woman as you never know what door it could open.
9) What do you most enjoy doing as a family in Dubai?
We love mini getaways within Dubai, going to a hotel for the weekend, enjoying the sun, beach and spending quality time together.
10) What is the ‘best-kept’ secret in Dubai, something fellow mamas should know about?
The Butterfly Garden – not many people know about it but kids would love it.
11) Which three words best describe your personality?
Honest, Friendly, fun loving.
12) What advice would you have for a new mama?
Having kids should not place your life on hold. On the contrary they should enrich your life. Always find time for yourself, your partner and your friends. I know it is easier for some more than others but Balance is key.
13) What advice would you give to a mama who wants to go back to work or start her own business but is worried about juggling family and career?
The best is starting your own business as you will be able to spend more time with your kids, that’s what I love about what I do, I control my own time , working a 9 hours a day away from them is tough especially when they are babies.
14) If you were on an island and could bring only 3 things (family not included) what would they be?
- My sketch book
- My iPod
- My pillow
15) Top 3 books?
1 – The Lost Symbol
2 – The Fault In Our Stars
3 – Wishes Fulfilled
16) Describe your style.
Simple, elegant with an edge.
17) If there was a movie produced about your life, who would you choose to play you and why?
Angelina Jolie. I respect her and look up to her, she lived a wild life and had her share of fun. She broke boundaries but nevertheless managed to create this beautiful mixed family with an army of children, and she’s using her status in life to help the ones in need.
18) Tell us something funny that your kids have said or done.
We have a Cat at home by the name of Geisha, so my daughter came up to me and said, “Mom, can we please get her a husband so she can lay eggs and we can get kittens!”
Thanks to The Studio for the gorgeous pics! Book your photography experience on (+971) (0)4 347 1745.
Special thanks also to Sassy Mama Dani for coordinating mamas and photographers while juggling 3 little ones too!