Walking the dog…
WE’VE all heard the horror stories about having a dog in Dubai, but mamas it’s really not so bad. Although our super-friendly beagle’s face still falls when yet another delivery guy shies away from stroking her, we’ve found a surprising number of places where her waggy tail is welcome and some great places to walk her.
1. Zero Gravity – everyone’s favourite roam with a view. Tucked behind the skydive site; this stretch of grass is a free for all for Fido. With stunning views of the Marina (not to mention some of the muscles on display in the open air gym on site) and a wide stretch of grass, this has got something for you – and your furever friend.
Zero gravity sky dive site – near the marina
2. Golden Mile, The Palm – not the shopping centre per se, but the strip behind it. Because of the bushes, low-hanging trees and small stream running through it, this felt like a home from home from our London-loving hound. Best of all, it’s studded with cafes and restaurants so you can grab a coffee while you walk.
Golden Mile, the Palm
3. Al Qudra Lakes – the closest we can get to giving our four-legged friend the rambles she was used to in her previous home, these man-made lakes afford ample opportunity for a day out with your dog. They can get quite crowded and there are a lot of BBQ-ers who aren’t looking for an extra guest (!), so it’s worth walking a while to find your own sweet spot.
Saih Al Salam Desert, off Emirates and Al Qudra roads
4. The Greens – frequently billed as the most dog-friendly place to live in Dubai, The Greens is definitely worth checking out. While we weren’t overwhelmed by the dog park (it’s quite small although you can get your dog off the lead and it provides a nice chance to socialise) almost all of the cafes are fido-friendly and it’s a great place to meet like-minded dog lovers.
The Greens community
5. My Second Home – As well as providing daycare and boarding (think suite living and CCTV that you can check into for your precious pooch) My Second Home, which is out by Dubai Investment Park, is also the world’s largest indoor dogpark. Owners can stop by with their dogs 7 days a week and can enjoy free wifi and an honesty snack bar while their dogs are sampling the indoor agility course or outdoor pool. Great to have in your pocket as it hots up around here.
Dubai Investment Park
6. Desert stretches – it wouldn’t be Dubai without mentioning the desert. There are sandy stretches perfect for your dog to get their sniff on all over the city. We’ve found the best areas behind Arabian Ranches, Mirdif and Al Barsha 1 (just behind the Mall of the Emirates).
7. Barkpark – a unique space for those whose mutts just need to run free. The newly opened barkpark is a huge swathe of fully enclosed sand where your dog is allowed to run, walk, skip or play lead-free. Be sure to check their facebook page for opening times and don’t forget to bring your dog’s up-to-date vaccinations if you want to use the space.
8. Don’t forget mamas – it’s not just walking that’ll make your pet bright-eyed and bushy-tailed; they need feeding and watering too. Dogs will find they get a celtic welcome in The Irish Village, while The Lime Tree Café chain is more than happy to provide a water bowl and some pavement space. And Jumeira local favourite Stomping Ground is just as welcoming to woofies as it is to royalty (the place is a favourite of Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, aka Faz). And isn’t that just Dubai all over? Somewhere that if you look hard enough, even your dog can be treated like a princess – or a crown prince at least…