The Sassiest Mama Awards 2015
‘A Sassy Mama is a happy mama’ according to this TV personality who produces multiple well known shows and is living her personal and professional dream. When she’s feeling low, an Abra ride on the creek is just the ticket – and reading a book uninterrupted is what she loves most.
Who’s The Mama?
Full Name: Uma Ghosh Deshpande
Occupation: TV Personality
Children: Dhruva – 14
How long have you lived in Dubai? 18 amazing years
1) Tell us about your business/businesses and why you started them.
I started business in the television industry 10 years ago, back when there was no local content production in the region, especially for the South Asian diaspora. It was challenging but I went on to spearhead the business.
Today, a decade later, many more production companies have been inspired to follow suit. We produce multiple TV shows from different channels, most popular brands are The Uma Show, TOPGUNS, High Life Dubai and PropertyScape.
2) What do you feel have been your biggest achievements both in your personal life and career so far?
Becoming a mother undoubtedly has been my biggest personal milestone. Professionally, I have been blessed to be rewarded in numerous ways and to be recognised as a TOP India leader by Forbes Middle East was one of them. Running my business and sustaining it for 10 years with no outside funding, generating revenues and growing it has been my biggest professional achievement.
3) As a child, what did you dream of being when you ‘grew up’?
I dreamed of becoming a fashion designer and I always knew I wanted to be on television. I studied fashion and had my own fashion label before I started my production company Queen Bee Production. And today, I am pretty much living my dream.
4) If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
I have immense gratitude for all that I have in life, but these are a few things that I really go hope for?
That my son Dhruva grows up to be a happy, empathetic and responsible human being.
That every human being across the globe has access to food every single day.
That empathy and compassion be taught as subject in schools, as this is one thing our world is in short stock of.
5) What does being a Sassy Mama mean to you?
Sassy Mama for me is a happy Mama! No matter if you choose to work professionally or be a full time mama, it’s important to be happy and put in 100% to all that we do. They say that a “perfect mother” does not exist, but I’d say a perfect mother exists in each of us.
6) What’s a typical day in your life like?
I am a very early riser, I wake up at 6, do my breathing exercise and mediate and chant for an hour. Then I drop my son to school, have my breakfast and hit the gym. I start work at around 11am and that can go on till late hours of the day depending on what projects I’m involved in at the time.
7) What’s your guilty pleasure?
Reading a book endlessly without any interruption.
8) What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given in your personal life and career?
Whatever you do, give it your best: be it in your place of work, in a relationship or life in general.
9) What do you most enjoy doing as a family in Dubai?
Having no agenda would be a perfect day for us, but we enjoy dining out and watching a movie together as a family.
10) What is the ‘best-kept’ secret in Dubai, something fellow mamas should know about?
When I’m low and down I take a trip on the Abra and cross the creek, it always makes me feel positive and great. Try it.
11) Which three words best describe your personality?
Confident, passionate and fun.
12) What advice would you have for a new mama?
No matter how overwhelming life gets when you have a newborn, everything eventually falls in place. So make the most of every precious phase with your child. They grow too soon..
13) What advice would you give to a mama who wants to go back to work or start her own business but is worried about juggling family and career?
Take your time…
Go easy on yourself, at the end what matters is your happiness and and the relationship you have with yourself, do what and when you feel like its right.
follow your gut and instinct always, never do anything to prove anything to anybody.
14) If you were on an island and could bring only 3 things (family not included) what would they be?
I’m a very self-reliant person and have grown to be mentally tough. I can live on an island for month without anything. But some good books will be fantastic.
15) Top 3 books?
I’m a voracious reader and I will have at least 500 top books
16) Describe your style.
Classic, I love structured dresses during the day for work and some fun dresses for the evening.
17) If there was a movie produced about your life, who would you choose to play you and why?
18) Tell us something funny that your kids have said or done.
My teenage son is shy and witty and not a big fan of being photographed, so it’s always a task getting him in front of the camera! When I asked him for a photoshoot for Sassy Mama, he looked at me straightforwardly and asked, why? – can you get a lookalike? – can a friend of mine pose for me instead? – will I get paid? And finally “No”. And so, I had to pose alone!
Thanks to The Studio for the gorgeous pics! Book your photography experience on (+971) (0)4 347 1745.
Special thanks also to Sassy Mama Dani for coordinating mamas and photographers while juggling 3 little ones too!