Simple, clean, healthy and utterly delicious, an ‘uber’ and pretty effortless Sassy Mama supper when time is limited – full of the good stuff (vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids and protein), this is a firm favourite in our household. Perfectly cooked flaky salmon, crunchy broccoli (or use green beans if you prefer) and the delicious allure of naughty caramelized garlic, ginger and optional chilli (miss out that part for the bubs unless they have been brought up on the stuff!). Serve on a sharing platter keeping an eye out for ‘green stealers’ aka those who claim to never touch veggies yet pillage mounds of broccoli simply because it tastes so good when rolled around in ginger and garlic . This is a recipe that encompasses many of my favourite ingredients, is loved by all and is now shared with you Sassy Mamas ……
SALMON WITH BROCCOLI, MUSTARD SEEDS, GINGER & GARLIC
4 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce
2 tablespoons runny honey
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons canola oil
500g-600g salmon tail fillet with skin on
1. Mix soy sauce, honey and vinegar. Pour over salmon fillet, marinade and cover for minimum 5 minutes flesh side downwards.
2. Warm canola oil in a generous sized pan.
3. Remove salmon from marinade and place flesh side downwards into warmed (not burning) pan. Sizzle on a high heat for 1-2 minutes until the salmon flesh is dark brown and caramelized.
4. Completely switch off the heat and add the remaining marinade to the pan with 4 tablespoons boiling water. Cover with a lid and leave to steam in its juices for whilst attending to the broccoli
1 generous tablespoon canola oil
3 cloves garlic chopped finely
4cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated finely
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
¼ teasp salt
½ fresh red chilli cut in fine slivers (Optional – add to the grown-up portions and leave out for the littles)
350g broccoli (you can also use green beans) cut into florets and blanched for 3 minutes
1. Warm canola oil, add garlic, ginger, chilli, sesame seeds and salt.
2. Once the garlic and ginger sizzle and turn golden, throw in the blanched greens.
3. Toss over a high heat for 2 minutes until mustard seeds start to pop and broccoli (or beans) is sizzling-steamy.
1. Use a tongs to remove beans to a pre-heated plate.
2. Very carefully remove the salmon fillet from the marinade and serve flesh side upwards draped over the greens.
3. Pour half the marinade over the salmon. Serve the remainder in a mini bowl on the side of the plate.
Bon Appetit! or as they say in Japan, Itadakimasu Mamas!
Fiona is a Chef, creative, food stylist, inveterate foodologist and fabulous mama to 2 gorgeous kids. Her expertise and experience are phenomenal; from catering and cooking for the Ferrari Formula 1 team at the height of its glory, to cooking as a private Chef to VIPs and media celebrities, teaching Masterclass food styling seminars and workshops, and writing regular columns and features in Dubai’s Good Housekeeping and Spinneys Food Magazine.