At nearly 36 weeks pregnant, I was asked if I had packed my hospital bag yet and realised that it hadn’t even crossed my mind yet! So I got thinking. I don’t remember making a big deal of packing a bag the first time round with my eldest daughter Luella but I definitely remember things I wish I’d had with me. So with that in mind and after a little reading around and helpful tips from friends… here are my packing essentials to make a hospital stay a little more pleasant mamas!
- Comfy robe and PJs: I like Zara Home for soft and cosy home wear like this plush cotton and cashmere robe with matching pants.
- Footwear: Would love to hang around in these gorgeous Zara Home slippers in rose gold, but might just bright some flip flops because you can wear them in the shower.
- Toiletery essentials: Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, hairbrush… and some favorite products to make you feel a little bit pampered and special like a nice scented shampoo and conditioner combo. Plus Palmer’s oil just because it’s now an everyday essential.
- MakeUp basics: To look and feel good for photos and surprise visits from friends and family. Mascara and shimmer powder will do…it’s amazing how these two things can instantly make you feel a little more feminine and human!
- Nursing tops or bras: For confort and practicality. Got mine from h&m as a starter pack.
- Tech stuff: Can’t be without my iPhone and MacBookAir!
- More stuff: Less glamorous but probably needed, pack of maternity underwear, maxi pads, nipple cream to name a few necessities. Also a comfortable and feel good “going home” outfit…remember you’ll still have a tummy so nothing too tight!
- Things to wear: simple cotton onesies
- Receiving blanket: Practical and for multiple usages – as a nursing cover, for wiping little mouths, as a light blanket…totally versatile!
- Soothers: might be useful while waiting for milk supply to build up. Some babies love them, some don’t – best to be prepared though!
- Swaddle blanket: You could use a large receiving blanket but I like to use the pocket kind with wrap around for ease and comfort for the baby. Gro Swaddle is an option, I used The Miracle Blanket for Luella… was great!
- Going home outfit: Comfy and easy to wear like this Petit Bateau 2 piece set.
- More stuff… Scratch mittens, wipes and diapers, and don’t forget the car seat…
- Room scented spray: Won’t be allowed to bring my beloved Dyptique candle, so a home spray will do – figuier or freesia.
- A battery operated candle: For a cosy glow at night
- Small picture frame: Like this double fold frame to keep hubby and Luella close by.
- Flowers: Hopefully from your first visitor!
Think that’s got most things covered…now to get packing and wait for baby to arrive!
French Sassy Maman Emily Lidén is the proud (soon to be!) mother of two and the brain, face and heart behind Dubai our Sandbox. She has a degree from Parsons school of design NYC and used to work in the cosmetics industry before setting up her own design business together with her husband in Dubai. Emily is now a full time mama with a passion for scouting out and sharing her goodies for what to do with your little ones here in the desert.